Saturday, December 5, 2009

Doesn't like ballet now....?

My 12 yr old asked for ballet lessons and I paid 170.00 and half way through she says to me what if I do not like it anymore? How should I react the best way not to offend or show disappointment and should I ask her to finish it out?



Doesn't like ballet now....?ballet



Dancing is not everyones bag, but the lesson "finish what you started" is the bigger picture here. She may not dance professionally, but she will learn from the experience.



Doesn't like ballet now....?globe theater opera theater



Well I would tell her that you are keeping her in the class until the session is over just so she could finish what she started. Also, at the moment she is saying she doesn't like it but later it might grow on her. She might just be shying away because sometimes ballet teachers can be harsh. I was like her at first but I started ballet again at 12 just for the heck of it and i am now 13 and taking Ballet 7 hours a week (including pointe).
Yeah "finish what you started" is a really good lesson. Maybe you could figure out what she doesn't like about it also.
Hi,



This is a common problem.



First thought is why does she not like it any more? Can she tell you what it is?



Ballet is a highly structured dance form, may it is not what she expected?



The ballet school quality (venue, teacher, change facility, environment, level of teaching) might be an issue. Dance schools can vary greatly in quality.



I am a male adult dancer who dances out of hobby interest. I have had some wonderful dance school experiences and some less wonderful too.



I can sense your disappointment but if you can listen to her, in spite of that, you might solve her problem and get closer too.



Also, if you have not already done so, talk to her teacher, see if there is anything that is happening or she is doing that might be degrading her experience.



An experienced caring teacher (like the good parent that you are) can be a great help.



regards



Peter
oh i went through that stage when i was "too cool for ballet" it lasted about a year. now i'm doing it pre-professionally and i'm only fifteen. it is really a phase. it went along with the "don't call me cute, i'm cool" phase also. but mine was more like second/third grade.
and maybe if she sticks with it she'll figure out she like it! But yeah.. figure out what she doen like about it... it may be problems with other girls in the class even...
I would tell her to finish it out because she could always change her mind again. I am a ballet dancer as well, I have been dancing for 6 years now, and I have progressed sooooo much. You could show her pictures or videos of advanced dancers, to show her what she could be if she continued. I was in her position once, I wanted to stop dancing and join cheerleading at my school, I talked to my ballet teacher and wrote down pros and cons, after listening to what my teacher said, I couldn't quit because I was "doing so well." I decided not to quit ballet, I didn't regret it.



I recomend going to the links :



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz1eGnJL0...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ac9ilui...



These links are dances from my ballet school's annual June performance. The school is called Professional Ballet School, it is amazing.



Good luck! Tell her to keep dancing, she won't regret it, I certainly haven't.
coming from someone who has given up on something before, the best thing to do is to tell her to just stick it out for the rest of the season! maybe she will even start to like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
trojan