Thursday, December 10, 2009

Anyone know a lot about ballet terms?

So I'm in a ballet class, and this past week my teacher told us to write down the steps so we could practice at home. Anyway, I wrote them down, and towards the end I wasn't really paying attention to the spelling of the terms. So, one of the terms I wrote down was "tambe." I'm somewhat new to ballet so when I got home I couldn't remember what that was. I tried googling it, but I obviously spelt it way wrong, because I can't find out what it means. Please if anyone knows, help me out! Thanks!



Anyone know a lot about ballet terms?dream theater



I'm glad that folks were able to provide you with a definition. However, I have to say, if you must ask what a term means, you're not going to practice it correctly. And practicing any move incorrectly is worse than not practicing at all, as it will take you longer to unlearn the wrong pattern. It's better to just do exercises at home than practicing steps.



Your dance studio doesn't sound like a program that focuses on instilling proper technique but is more interested in memorizing some dance routine. Knowing the proper terms is great and learning how to spell them is icing on the cake, but first and foremost, you need to know what a move looks like, sounds like and feels like before bothering with how it's defined and spelled in written form. Even visualizing the definition incorrectly can mess you up, as proper visualization is a powerful tool in dance.



Anyone know a lot about ballet terms?performing arts opera theater



tombe is the correct term it is a step in which a dancer falls from one leg to the other, landing with all the weight on the foot that has just moved, while flexing the knee.
I don鈥瞭 but these people do



http://www.messiah.edu/org/acclamation/B...
tombeis a slight fall somewhat similair to a lunge...usually followed by a potabourre(sp) glisade...



try googling videos of people doing them and you will understand..now thsat u have the right spelling
As the other answered have said, tombe is a slight fall or lunge on one leg, it is a preparatory step into another step....often pas de bourree'. Here is an excellent online ballet dictionary that is a great reference. It even has video clips of steps:



http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/...



Here's a couple more:



http://www.theatredance.com/balletterm2....



http://www.geocities.com/borndancn/
It is called a tombe and it's like a little fall step before going into another step. Have fun in ballet class! I like taking ballet classes also. :-)
the above discriptions are correct. a tombe is a step out and demi plie' on that leg you just stepped out with ,the back leg staying straight.



AS FOR your school giving you homework and making you look up terms ... I think its awesome! no matter what others may say



you have just learned how to spell and do a step and thats more than what most dancers know already! I've taught and watched people who went to school and had degrees for dance and they didnt know what they were saying 1/2 the time! so you go girl.



my only suggestion is that you buy an illustrated terminology book on ballet and maybe even one on anything else you like like choreograohy or a modern style. ... Its something youll keep %26amp; use for the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
trojan