Saturday, December 5, 2009

Too old to go back to ballet?

I danced ballet from 9 yrs. old to 14 yrs. old then quit. I've always wanted to go back. I never got very good though. I am now 22 years old (almost 23) and I desperately want to start dancing again. There are classes for adults and teens/beginners that I can attend but not till this semester's over because the schedules conflict.



Until then I feel stupid going back and looking like a beginner, I want to get back into the right shape and be prepared to advance quickly because I'm so old. 114lb 5'7" right now, fairly muscular, not bad.



so . . . What should I do??



also . . . I am going to get fitted for pointe shoes next week just because I want them, is it completely ridiculous to break them in and practice a little big (not vigorously) with them at home till I can go to regular ballet class? my feet are extremely strong, I can stand on my tip toes in bare feet.



What do you think?



Too old to go back to ballet?home theatre



1. what should I do to prepare/get back into shape?



See if you can go to a yoga class or else buy a yoga book/DVD and start practicing. You will improve your flexibility as well as your strength to help get you more prepared for dance class. Do other aerobic activities you enjoy as well .. maybe jogging or swimming? The aerobics will help your stamina.



2. am i way too old to re-start?



Old?! You're not even close to too old! I started back at 30 and have had great success. I'll never be a professional, but it is fun and I have advanced quickly. (I've seen 80 year old beginners in community tap classes so if you decide to try something new in 60 years, go for it ;)



3. is the pointe shoe thing a bad idea?



Wait .. with the strength you describe, you probably won't have to wait for long, but even playing around in the house can be dangerous. Just standing on your toes isn't the right technique and you could hurt yourself so that you have to wait longer. A little bit of patience now will probably keep you from having to have a LOT of patience later :)



Too old to go back to ballet?ballet theater opera theater



No you are never to old to dance. I dance and I love it. I also take ballet too.
I did almost thing, took it for several years, did a lot of pointe work and I've wanted to go back, but I had to quit because I was working myself to hard. I haven't danced for a couple of years now.



I'm sure you can go back, though! If your feet are strong, you still are able to push yourself and you really want it, there's no doubt in my mind that there's no problem with you going. Find a good teacher and hit the bar! (Uh, bar meaning stretch bar!) :P



Good luck!
OF COURSE U CAN GO BACK!!! That was a whole 5 years of dance and usually once you learn, its hard to forget. Once you start classes again, you'll snap back QUICK.



I DO NOT reccomend however egetting pointe shoes and then practicing in them. Technique wise, you are not where you should be, you probably will end up hurting yourself or teach yourself incorrectly. You can buy them, just DO NOT use them; the last thing you want is a messed up achilles tendon. I'm not discouraging you. But really your muscles need to remember dance. Get back into the classes and become re-trained. Just as a double check, talk to one of the teachers about how you're excited about pointe. Most likely will evaluate what level you are and then place you accordigly. They will tell you same as me (about the shoes) but will encourage you to build up to the level you need to be to begin learning pointe.



Hope that helps! Good LUCK!!!
never too old to start again, the exercise alone is reason to give it another shot! prepare by doing a lot of stretching, yoga orpilates if you like,anything to keep the long muscles toned. as far as pointe shoes DON'T get them yet. if you haven't done it before,its like nothing else and you really need proper training. i work at a dance shop and its very hard to deal with a customer who shouldn't be getting pointes because they often don't know what they're looking for and its VERY VERY VERY UNSAFE to dance en pointe without being taught how.



i really admire your ambition though! discuss your goals with your teacher, he or she will be able to observe your technique and recommend you for pointe when the time is right.



good luck!
u should go back if u want. if u do start back, u need to start stretching everyday to get back into shape. i have been taking ballet for 9 years and i don't think pointe shoes r a good idea right now. ur ankles are probably not Strong enough yet. I got pointe shoes last year and they are still hurting my feet! i suggest u take ballet for at least 3 years before u start pointe....... besides pointe shoes r pretty expensive.......; about a 100 dollars a pair including toe pads and everything. my dance teacher told us not to do anything in them until she had told us what to do so we wouldnt get hurt.
Hi,



There is a fanstastic new range of costumes and dancewear coming out with the brand name Elevate. Elevate makes tutus, dance cotumes and dancewear.



Elevate can be found on an EBay based website called Tutu2You. Here you can bid on the cotumes and dancewear, as well as buy them automatically (Buy It Now.) The website is:



http://stores.ebay.com.au/1-Tutu-2-You



Tutu 2 You also sells acessories to go with the costumes like tiaras, bun covers, fans and masks.



Elevate and Tutu 2 You have really great service. I have bought a number of things from them. They are really really great quality. I also bought a tutu for my esteidford. It was the most beautiful tutu i have ever seen, and i got great comments from the adjudicators.



I hope you check out Elevate and Tutu 2 You. When you need your next costuume, tutu or just dancewear, they are the place to go.



From Dancer
I think you should develope a plan to do everyday such as working on your plie's, developes, stuff like that just work hard everyday on that and by the time you strat dance you should be in fairly good shape. Also I think that no one is to old to start dancing. If its something that you really want to do i say go for it. also I might wait and talk to the instructor about pointe shoes. your ankles might be strong but if their not strong enough you could end up hurting yourself. another way to strengthen your ankle is to get one of those therabands and work on your ankle everyday you also should work on your abdomen muscles if their not srtong enough and you can't balance you could hurt yourself. do stuff like the "Onehundred" its painful but s strong abdomen muscles help you with balence and help you pull up so not all your weight is on your toes. hope I've helped!
of course its not to late look at the winner of so you think you can dance! shes only danced for 4 years! you are in shape but try getting a bit more flexable if your not if you can bend over and touch your toes without bending you knees, thats a bad sign. as for the pointe shoes, dont get them! you could seriously injure yourself without the proper training after almost 10 years
You are NOT too old. To get ready - put on some music and dance. That will help your stamina. Try to remember some of your old barre excercises and do them, too. As for pointes, wait a bit. Once you're back in full training you foot shape may change a bit, and you'll be stuck with pointes that don't fit as well as they should. Have fun! I'm still dancing at 51!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
trojan